Get inspired to become a Cancer Fighter
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women. A tremendous amount of progress has been made against breast cancer, but our work is not done. This October, dedicating your fundraiser to breast cancer will continue to help people like Meghan Unger.
For Meghan and her family, cancer has changed everything. After facing her 8-year old son Liam’s cancer diagnosis, the Ungers thought they had put cancer behind them. But just two years later, Meghan heard the words, “you have breast cancer.”
Meghan knew she needed support from people who understood what she was going through, so she turned to the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) online forum CancerConnection.ca. There she found answers to her most difﬁcult questions from others who had been through it and was able to lean on those who had been there. Thanks to supporters like you, Meghan was able to hold onto hope when she needed it most.
Together, we can create a future where no Canadian fears breast cancer.
Virtual fundraising ideas that make a difference
If you have the passion, but you’re not sure how to turn it into action, then take a look at these online fundraising ideas!
- Hold a Reading Challenge - Set a goal of reading 5, 10 or however many books you like in a month and ask your family and friends to make donations to support your goal. This is a good way to get younger readers involved as well!
- Set up a Fitness Challenge - Challenge friends, virtually, to see who is the fittest with a series of challenges such as push ups, chin ups or sit ups. Collect online donations as you reach your goal!
- Hold an indoor Walk-a-thon - Set a step goal and then invite friends and family to sponsor you. You’ll be surprised how far you can walk without leaving your own home!
- Put on a virtual live concert - Dust off those musical talents and stage a live online concert for friends and family and ask for donations.
- Instead of gifts, ask for donations - To mark your birthday, anniversary, baby shower, wedding or another special occasion, ask family and friends to make an online donation and forgo gifts.
- Host a trivia night - Online trivia is a fantastic way to entertain people, promote some friendly competition and let people show off their skills! Ask for donations as a virtual “ticket” to your trivia night.
Be a Cancer Fighter Get started