Please Support My Participation in this Fabulous Event!
This now is my 3rd year participating in this event, and being Captain of our fabulous team! This is also now the 3rd year of life without my dearest Dad. When Daddy was slowly wasting away from his terminal cancer in the 7 months after his diagnosis, I remember feeling so terribly helpless to change any of this. And so began my personal journey to register a team, work as team captain and raise funds for the Canadian Cancer Society. The first year was easier because my Dad passed away 3 weeks before the festival was to start, and so a lot of my donations were in lieu of flowers. The 2nd year was tough, I made a lot of hula hoops to sell, I solicited a bunch, and I sold all my pickled beets grown in my garden! But we still made it into the top 10 fundraising teams. Now this year, I am hoping to reach a lofty goal again.
The Canadian Cancer Society funds more research every year than any other national charity and most importantly, it gets results
* Research funded by the Society has allowed doctors to detect cancer sooner, improve treatments and get better outcomes so more people live
* The Society funds research into all foms of cancer from the most common to the rarest form
The Society also provides vital community based programs that support manitoba cancer patients and their families from getting cancer patients to and from treatment to providing counselling, wigs and breast prosthesis
The Cancer Society also speaks up for cancer patients ensuring that all levels of government remainresponsive to the changing needs of cancer patients and their families.
* In 2011, with the support of Manitobans,the Society convinced the provincial government to cover the cost of cancer treatment and support drugs for people fighting cancer at home (on an out-patient basis)
* No other charity worked for this change!
* Since the Home Cancer Drug Program was introduced, 14,484 Manitoba families have benifited. The program ha covered nearly $82 million in drug costs at a time when family incomes are declining and costs increasing.
You can help to fuel the cancer fight by supporting my participation in the Canadian Cancer Society Dragon Boat Festival now. It's easy - just click on the red "Donate Now" button on the right side of this page.
If you want to learn more about the Canadian Cancer Society, visit http://www.cancer.ca.
My Personal Web Log
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.